St. Simons Rotary Club
"Hall of Fame"
The purpose of the Hall
of Fame is to recognize those Rotarians that have been exemplary in
their living the Rotary life. They are the individuals that through
their efforts have substantially enriched the quality of our club.
Their place in our history is significant and should be remembered by
the membership of our club.
criteria for the Hall of Fame were defined so that it is not limited to
deceased members. Past members (living or deceased) are eligible.
Hall of Fame members, if living, or their families, if the member is
deceased, will be presented with a plaque announcing their induction
into the Hall of Fame. The names of all members of the Hall of Fame
will be placed in the publications of the Rotary Club of Saint
The following members were inducted into
the St. Simons Rotary Club Hall of Fame starting on November 4, 2007 for
their Exceptional Contributions made to this club’s success
during their years of membership.
William A. Way
Charter member – Member 1950-1973. Bill was the first President of
our club in 1950. He recruited the charter members of the club and
led the club organizational efforts.
Edward C. Bruce
Member 1950-1990. President 1952-53.
Served as club Treasurer 1955-1983. Helped start the scholarship
program as a loan to students in 1954. In 1961 he led the creation
of the Scholarship Foundation. The Scholarship Fund Fellowship Award
was named in his honor.
Samuel W. Wells
Charter Member – Member 1950-1973. President 1953-54.There was an
adage for those not long in Rotary, if you want to know something
“ask Sam Wells.” He was a longtime Secretary of the club.
R. William Marshall
Charter Member – Member 1950-1981, Architect. Club President
1954-55. Bill initiated and designed the Rotary Scout Building and
led the support to the local Boy Scouts chapter for many years.
Member 1954-1996, Photographer. Gil was a major benefactor to the
Permanent Fund of Rotary International with his contribution of over
$150,000. He believed in education and the residual of his estate,
$430,000, was given to the St. Simons Rotary Foundation and remains
the major basis of the ongoing scholarship awards.
Member 1971-2004, Army Colonel. Lew
was responsible for founding Taps at Twilight in 1991 and building
it into the major annual event that it is today.
Calvin F. Paynter
Member 1985–2014, Grocery Sales
Consultant. Treasurer 1988 -97. Cal’s tireless work for the club’s
fund raising project of selling American flags raised more than
$100,000 that has been used for funding the annual Tap at Twilight
program as well as various other charitable causes.
Pasquale (Pat) J. Storino
Member 1997--2014, Pharmaceutical
Board of Directors.2002-04, President .2006-07,
Assistant District Governor 2007-10. For most of his 17 years as a
club member Pat was the key person in Flag Sales Management and Taps
at Twilight Planning. Pat worked on Rotary almost daily contributing
to all requests for help and advise.
William "Pat" Donahoo
Member 1980--2016, Food Science
Board of Directors.1983-85, President .1985-86,
District Governor 1994-95.
Pat was most supportive of Rotary at
all levels, had deep respect for
their goals, and had developed warm friendships with many Rotarians.
He was a well respected representative from St. Simons Rotary to many
District 6920 committees and events.